If you’re getting a new dog from a galaxy—err, town—far, far away, and consider yourself a Star Wars superfan, you might want to consider one of these galactic names from the world’s most popular movie series. Between 12 movies, four TV series, and countless comics, books, and merchandise, there’s plenty of inspiration, but we’ve narrowed it down to the best names from some of our favorite characters.
Top Dog Names From Star Wars
From main characters to Storm Troopers, to random aliens in the backgrounds of your famous scenes, there are literally thousands of Star Wars characters. These are some of the most recognizable—and most beloved—Star Wars characters of all time.
- Chewie: Han Solo’s Wookiee side-kick and pilot of the Millennium Falcon, Chewbacca—or Chewie, for short—is one of the series’ most famous characters. Bringing home a Yorkie? We think Chewie is the perfect name because—you guessed it—Yorkies look like miniature Chewbaccas!
- Han: The captain of the Millennium Falcon, Han Solo was the thief-turned-ultra-handsome-Rebel of everyone’s Star Wars dreams.
- Obi: The wise, patient, and super-skilled Jedi who first trained Anakin Skywalker—and later, Luke Skywalker—Obi-Wan Kenobi was one of the truly good, virtuous characters in Star Wars. We love this name for an older, wiser dog—and bonus points if he has a shaggy, white beard.
- Darth (Vader): Sure, there are plenty of Darths in the Star Wars galaxies—including Maul, Momin, and Sidious—but if your dog truly leans towards the dark side, name him after the baddest guy of them all: Darth Vader. Just don’t be surprised if he starts to mumble “I find your lack of playtime disturbing” while you’re trying to work.
- Manda or Lorian: The latest Star Wars series, The Mandalorian, has taken the Disney+ streaming service by storm. Although there’s a whole cast of new characters—and appearances from old characters—we think the title of the series is pretty inspiring itself. Manda and Lorian make pretty, unique dog names, right?
- Yoda: The best-known character of all the Star Wars series and properties, Yoda is (see what we did there?). Yoda is the Jedi master who trains Luke Skywalker and is wise beyond his thousands of years—making this another solid choice for an older dog. Bringing home a puppy? Baby Yoda, from The Mandalorian is probably one of the cutest things we’ve ever seen and would totally work for a younger pup.
- Luke: Does your dog need a little growing up to do? Consider naming him after Luke Skywalker. Perhaps the whiniest Jedi there ever was, Luke is the focus of the original Star Wars trilogy and later becomes a Jedi Master with his own Jedi Academy.
- Leia: The toughest princess on this side of the galaxy, Leia Organa showed generations of women and girls that they, too, can lead the Rebel Alliance, New Republic, and the Resistance; promote virtue and defeat the dark side; and pull off double buns. We love this name for a rough-and-tumble girl dog.
- Mace: A Master sitting on Jedi Counsel—who also happens to be considered one of the best swordsmen in Star Wars history—Mace Windu was an unapologetic good guy and beloved Jedi General. If you don’t love the name Mace, Windu makes a cool pick, too.
- Kylo: The son of Han Solo and Leia Organa, Ben Solo adopted the name Kylo Ren after his fall to the dark side. Throughout Episodes VII–IX, you can see Kylo Ren struggle with his badness and that—sometimes!—he really does want to be good. Meaning, this name would totally suit a puppy who loves to chew, but knows he really shouldn’t.
- Lando: Lando Calrissian is a smuggler, thief, and gambler, and was the original owner of the Millennium Falcon before his BFF Han Solo stole it. Despite his initial sketchiness, Lando later becomes a General in the Rebel Alliance and leads the attack on the Death Star in Return of the Jedi. Talk about redemption, right?
Tips for Naming Your Dog
It’s no secret: Bringing home a new puppy or dog is ruff work. Between shopping for your new dog’s gear, like a comfortable bed and engaging toys, choosing the right type of kibble, and preparing your home for a new furry family member, you have to come up with the perfect name, too. It may seem difficult, but when it comes to choosing a name, “do or do not. There is no try.”If you're getting a new dog from a galaxy—err, town—far, far away, and consider yourself a Star Wars superfan, you might want to consider one of these galactic names from the world's most popular movie series Click To Tweet
Here’s our advice:
- Stick to names that are one to two syllables and contain hard consonants. These types of names will be easier for your dog to hear and understand.
- Avoid names that could be confused with a command, like “Stay” and “Rey.”
- Choose a name that suits your dog’s personality or appearance (or both!).
Dog Names Inspired by Star Wars Cast
Not feeling a space-aged name, but still want to pay homage to your favorite film series? Look to the Star Wars cast members—both old and new—for some serious inspiration.
Dog Names Inspired by Star Wars Creatures
Despite all the fighting and violence, we have to admit: There are some pretty darn cute creatures in the Star Wars series. We think these would make cute, totally unique names for any dog.
Dog Names Inspired by Star Wars Space Ships & Vehicles
If you consider yourself a car buff and a Star Wars junkie, these cool names should check off all the boxes.
Other Dog Name Ideas
Want even more dog naming inspiration? Be sure to check out:
60 Unusual Male Dog Names
76 Uncommon Dog Names for Your One of a Kind Pet
40 Greek Dog Names